Wine plays a significant role in keeping our bodies free of tissue inflammation, heart diseases, and harmful toxins.
To maintain health, experts advise that a female take one cup of wine in a day while a male person takes two cups.
To plan for wine intake for your family or guests, you should know how much wine is enough for them. How do you go about this?
To get the amount of wine you need to order for your friends, you should know the amount of wine in a bottle and the amount of wine a cup holds.
Cups come in different sizes. There are three main categories of wine cups;
- The Bordeaux, which is full-bodied and holds 13-28 ounces of wine
- The Burgundy, which is medium-bodied and has about 11-18 ounces of wine
- The Port glass, which is light-bodied and holds 4-12 ounces of wine
The number of cups in a bottle of wine will depend on the cup you use. If you choose the full-bodied cup, you will end up with a few cups, while the light-bodied option will give you the highest number of cups.
To choose a standard cup from the three categories, we will consider the amount of wine a person should take in a cup.
Too much wine intake is unhealthy. The standard amount of wine a person should take in a cup is 5 ounces, regardless of the size of the cup you are using.
Wine bottles come in different sizes ranging from 0.75-4.5 liters. Here are the common types of wine bottles:
- Jeroboam, whose volume is 4.5 liters
- Double magnum whose volume is 3 liters
- The magnum whose volume is 1.5 liters
- The standard bottle whose volume is 0.75 liters
For wine, the standard bottle holds 0.75 liters (25.4 ounces)
We can obtain the number of cups in a wine glass as follows
- One standard bottle of wine holds 25.4 ounces of wine
- A standard cup of wine holds 5 ounces of wine
- Number of cups in a wine bottle= number of ounces in a bottle ÷number of ounces in a cup
=25.4 ounces ÷5 ounces
There are 5 standard cups of wine in a standard wine bottle.
Suppose four of your close friends are coming to your house for dinner. How many wine bottles will you buy to serve everyone, assuming that the five of you take wine?
- One person takes one cup of wine
- There are 5 standard cups in a standard bottle
- Number of bottles =( 5×5.08)÷25.4
= 1 bottle
Now, suppose you are catching up with your friends after a while and you choose to indulge and take three cups of wine each.
The number of bottles of wine you will order = (5×5.08×3)÷25.4
= 3 bottles
Knowledge of the number of cups in a wine bottle can help us when planning for parties, shopping for home bars, or and buying stock for our businesses.